Homemade Gyro Meat
Category: MD Beef
Prep Time: 45 min.
Cook Time: 1hr 20 min
What You Will Need:
2 lbs Ground lamb (or 2 lbs ground beef, or 1 lb of each)
1 med Onion
2 cloves Garlic (minced)
1 TB Marjoram
1 TB Rosemary
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
What You Do:
1. Chop your onion and put it in a food processor, mixing until it is finely minced/blended.
2. Take it out and squeeze it in a cheese cloth to remove most of its juices.
3. Add the remaining ingredients, including the squeezed onion
4. Process/pulse it for about a minute.
5. Place the meat on a large piece of plastic wrap, and wrap it as tightly as you can.
6. Place the loaf in the fridge for two hours.
7. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
8. After two hours, remove the loaf from the plastic wrap and place it in a loaf pan.
9. Press it firmly down to remove any air pockets.
10. Place in a large roasting pan and fill it with enough water to reach halfway up the loaf pan. 11. Bake in the oven for an hour and 20 minutes. Temperature of the meat should be 170 degrees,
Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing thinly.
This is not my recipe. We tried it and it is absolutely great. I made my homemade tzatziki sauce to go with it and couldn’t get enough. I had it on salad for several days.